Before you join any home business opportunity, I HIGHLY suggest you do your research. Unfortunately today there is a an overwhelming amount of information about people, companies and products along with reviews that claim things that might not be true. One thing you need to remember about the internet is anyone can write anything about anything and there is no regulators to penalize them if they are lying.
Not only from my own experience, but after seeing many people fail in this industry, I can tell you there are certain things you need to pay attention to when looking at joining any home business opportunity. And this is just a generic list of things I have come across and heard in this industry. I am sure I am missing some things here but the point is, to keep your eyes and ears open and don’t believe everything that everyone says. With that said, let me see if I can share a few short cuts with you to steer you from disaster and keep you as closely aligned to successful people as possible.
1. Hype: If it seems to good to be true, it probably is. Unfortunately this industry attracts a lot of snakes and these people are willing to say and do whatever it takes to get your money. This includes promising over night riches and claiming they have magic software etc. I am sure you have heard this pitch before if you have looked for more than 30 seconds into starting a home based business. Ideally you want to run as far away from these people as possible. They are great salesmen and will be with you until you actually need their help. Then they are nowhere to be found. It’s always wise to check around and find people who aren’t just trying to sell you on making money. There are many other reasons to get involved with a home based business and the money is just one of the perks.
2. Company: There are now over 250k mlm/affiliate type companies in the United States alone from what I have heard. 85k of these companies came around in the last few years and probably won’t be around in the next year or two. The point I am trying to make here is not all opportunities are the same. Some are very well perceived in the industry while others will immediately tie you into the “shady” crowd that people don’t want to work with. So make sure to choose a good company, with a good reputation, that pays on time, provides good training and has a genuine interest in your success. This is only half the battle. But without a good company and product to work with, you are doomed to fail from the beginning.
3. Team: I can’t stress this enough. Find a good team to work with. Scratch that, find a great team to work with. You are only going to be as good as the support your team can give you. Sure, you joined this business by yourself and aren’t physically working with anyone else but that doesn’t mean you are in this business by yourself. You should make sure that you have more than a handful of people you can call if you need assistance, have questions or are wanting to do a 3 way call. Before I learned this lesson, I used to just joined with whoever shared an opportunity with me because I thought that was the right thing to do. And I may get a lot of flack for saying this and encouraging you not to be “loyal” but you need to look out for yourself. Align yourself with the best people you can find because those are the ones that will make sure you reach your goals.
4. Marketing/Training systems: Not every team provides this but I can tell you having these tools will give your team a huge boost and an edge that most won’t have. Some teams, will just provide a basic training videos while others (our team) will go far beyond that and will provide you replicated sites with automated marketing material and more. The more resources you are provided, the less time you will have to spend on creating that stuff yourself. On top of that, you can now spend your time and energy being efficient and going out and finding prospects for your business. Which is what you should really be doing anyway.
5. Genuine Interest: When it’s all said and done, you have to like what you do, like who you work with and have a passion to continue. Not everybody is going to connect with the same teams or even like the same products. The idea is to find what you are most comfortable with. There are lots of different products/companies/categories you can choose to build your business in. I suggest choosing something you either know a lot about or want to learn more about. Ultimately, you need to like what you do if you want to make a business out of this.
In the end, you are doing this by yourself. Yes, you have unlimited support but nobody can get you going if you don’t want it yourself. It’s important to like what you do if you want to see success in this business. Choose a product and company you can see promoting for years down the road. Something that interests you and doesn’t bore you. I can’t tell you how many people join an opportunity because of the hype and the dollar signs only to realize a month later that have ZERO interest in what they are doing and can’t make money because they don’t like talking about it.
Do what makes you happy and that is how you will find success. You can see the same system I used to sponsor over 150 people in my business in less than a year.