If you have a website, you should be building a list. This is truly where most of your profits will be at. Most people have a hard time transitioning between the person that is reading all the emails and the person who is writing all the emails. For some it can be a big step and for others it’s very natural movie. Regardless of how you feel, the fact of the matter is money is made by people who write emails, not read them.
Why build an email list? No matter what type of website or business you have, your business thrives off leads and prospects. Your success depends on your ability to find targeted, qualified people who want to give you money. Simple as that.
How to build an email list? How you choose to obtain someone’s contact info and how you build a relationship with them can vary from niche to niche. Ultimately, you want to give something that is related and offers value. If you don’t spend time and effort on cultivating a strong relationship with your visitors and customers; giving them EXACTLY what they want, your business will not last very long.
With so much junk information floating on the internet these days, it is hard not to be jaded when you read some of this stuff. Believe me, I get it. It can be frustrating seeing people make ten’s of thousands of dollars a month from one website when you feel like you have poured your heart and soul into learning this industry and still haven’t made one cent.
Let me tell you something.. it’s not your fault.
The system was designed to keep you totally clueless and always buying the next “revolutionary system” or super affiliate hidden technique blah blah blah. I see it so much I feel like I dream about it. And enough is enough. The fact of the matter is, if you can build a list, you can build an income; and I am about to show you how.
6 Steps to increasing your subscriber opt in rate by over 500%
1. Give Something Away – As I mentioned before, people do not just sign up for something just because you ask them too. They need to benefit or receive something in order for them to take action, like give up their contact info. And can you really blame them? If you have the opportunity to sign up for someone’s newsletter, just to be bombarded and pitched to buy some products online, how likely are you to do that. Now If you are offered a free video course that teaches you something, provides value or benefits you in anyway, you are more likely to give me your contact info to get access to that video. This is one of the dirty tricks the pro marketers have been using for years to get our information. And I would be wrong if I said it didn’t work.
2. Offer Value – Your website needs to provide value. You can offer everything under the sun to entice your visitor to opt in but if the visitors don’t trust your site, or feel you are not the authority of your subject, you will have a hard time getting someone to opt in. If you have a blog, it would be smart to have 5-10 articles available to read right from your site. The visitors who show up will see the related articles and immediately feel they are in the right place. Or at least you hope.
3. Credibility- Technically, the item above covers credibility as well. Anything you add on your website to make you more credible will help increase your conversions. This can be anything from story telling and aligning yourself with a success story, certifications from your niche, past experiences you can share that will help everyone, including even more advanced people in your field. Anything that shows you know what you are talking about will boost your conversions and help build your list very fast. On top of that, people who sign up through you because of your credibility are more likely to buy from you, over your competition.
4. Don’t lose focus – This is so easy to do when building a list. Sure, you can probably think of 10 things you can teach and build 10 different lists but don’t spread yourself to thin. If you have a website and are planning on building a list, this is not a set it and forget it operation. Spend time, organize your thoughts and newsletters. Plan in advance and write in advance, that way you have a fluid model that cohesively works with what you are doing. You can always proof read and edit later.
5. Split test – Even though you think you know what your visitors want, you really don’t know until you test it out. Every website is different and every visitor wants a different experience. Find out what the most common problem is, the most sought after solution in your niche is and then test it. Get some results and test it again. Once you have some results, think of common problem in your niche and then test with that. Test until you have enough data to make a decision on which opt in form brings you best conversion.
6. Have someone do it for you – Until recently, I couldn’t really offer this solution. But today, there is a new service that builds your list for you. It’s free to sign up and you can use it immediately to start building your list. This service is great for beginners who are new to list building but is especially great if you are a killer marketer.
Make sure to check out the list building section if you have more questions about “how to build a list” –